Thursday, April 14, 2011

DNA Altering

Greetings fellow bloggers! J
I found an article on a new discovery which I thought was very unusual, pointless and somewhat funny – therefore, I decided to tell you about it. It has to do with science and genetics – which is perfect since I’m currently learning genetics and DNA in science class. Here it goes –

It is 50 years since the discovery of DNA - a co-discoverer recently suggested that stupidity is a genetic disease, proposing the idea that it should be cured, saying that low intelligence is an inherited disorder and that it should be fixed. James Watson, the biologist who suggested these ideas, states: “If you are really stupid, I would call that a disease," he continues onto claiming, "The lower 10 per cent who really have difficulty, even in elementary school, what's the cause of it? A lot of people would like to say, 'Well, poverty, things like that.' It probably isn't. So I'd like to get rid of that, to help the lower 10 per cent."

Many people thought him crazy – especially when he suggested the following: "People say it would be terrible if we made all girls pretty. I think it would be great."
Thus, this idea isn’t taken very seriously. The ethics of changing the identity of a person, even if this person does carry the ‘disorder’ of being stupid, is into question by scholars around the world.

I think this man has serious problems – and I completely disagree with what he is planning of doing. I believe that we are all born with an identity which makes each one of us special and unique – if you are less good in math, so what? That’s who you are; and most probably, you are much better in something else. Each person has their own qualities which define them as a person – plus, I don’t believe actual ‘stupidity’ exists. If it does, than every one of us is stupid in something – I admit that I’m terrible at speeches and I don’t paint as well as I wish I would. But that is me – does that mean I’m artistically demented? I don’t think so… and I would never even consider of changing my DNA for this.   
This is it for today – J  
Izzie   

No comments:

Post a Comment